SUD is a Family Disease, Recovery is a Family Process
Are you seeking help for a family member, friend or partner struggling with alcoholism or drug use? If so, you have come to the right place. Janus believes in the healing power of families and strives to assist individuals and their families on a journey toward wellness and recovery. Substance Use Disorder is a disease that greatly impacts the entire family:
- Over 9.6 million children live in a home where at least one parent is actively abusing alcohol or drugs.
- These children are 4 times more likely to develop a substance use disorder.
- Working with families improves treatment outcomes and increases the likelihood of successful recovery.
- Working with families reduces the impact of substance use disorder on different generations.
There is hope, recovery happens!
Saturday Family Program for Residential Clients
Clients’ family members and loved ones are strongly encouraged to participate in the free Family Program held every Saturday at our Residential Treatment Center. Referrals for the family program are provided when the client and counselor determine the family is ready to begin the healing process together. The Family Program offers education and support through:
- Interactive group meetings designed to help clients and family learn about their role in the recovery process
- Morning Meeting: support and education sessions with clients
- Afternoon Meeting: an open, multifamily support group
- Free family meal
- Free childcare for children (2 months-12 years, RSVP required) Children ages 13 and up are welcome to attend
- A licensed Marriage and Family Therapist facilitates all groups
Parenting & Family Strengthening Programs
Janus offers our clients multiple parenting and family strengthening programs that include:
- Weekly Positive Discipline for parents in recovery groups
- Parents learn healthy, appropriate and safe parenting techniques
- Groups are led by trained staff
- Individual parenting counseling and education available as needed
- Free childcare
Janus currently partners with the County WET program to provide Cara y Corazon, a free bilingual, bi-cultural family strengthening program to all Janus families. Although this program has a focus on parents, it is open to all families that are seeking healthy new ways to strengthen their family.
Janus Children’s Services
Mothers with children in the perinatal programs enjoy supportive children’s services, including:
- Free, cooperative childcare while receiving treatment
- Trained parent assistants in every playroom to providing a safe, healthy and positive growth environment
- Free developmental screenings using the Ages and Stages Questionnaire-3 (ASQ-3), a parent-completed screening tool that helps to pinpoint delays early
- Developmental growth activities targeted toward an individual child’s needs
- Partnerships with community agencies, including Family Service Agency and Early Head Start, to refer children that would benefit from additional resources
Recovery Starts with the First Step
At Janus, we know that the effects of substance use disorder reach far beyond the individual, often causing physical or emotional stress, leaving friends and family members feeling frustrated, angry or powerless.
Janus believes that family involvement is crucial for recovery. We understand that every family is different, which is why we offer a variety of family resources and encourage involvement in all of our family programs when you’re ready.
Janus can help.
Janus counselors are available throughout the week to speak with family members. Family relapse prevention sessions can be scheduled and we are also glad to provide outside referrals for additional therapy or meetings.
Call or Come In
Janus of Santa Cruz
200 7th Ave. Suite 150